(1 lb.) Naked Bacon
(2 tbsp.) Sugar
(1 tbsp.) Sea salt
(1 or 2 shakes) Liquid Smoke (optional)
(2 cups) Warm water
For the marinade:
- Mix sugar and salt with the warm water until dissolved. If using, add the liquid smoke.
- Place the naked bacon/sliced pork belly in a container, in a single layer. Pour the liquid marinade on top, and separate the strips to maximize the contact with the marinade. It's important to keep all strips fully covered, so add more warm water if necessary.
- Cover and put in the fridge overnight to marinade, or for at least 8 hours.
- Remove the strips of bacon from the marinade and pat dry. Season with salt, pepper, and any other preferred seasoning.
- Prepare as you would for regular bacon. See instructions below!
- Start with a cold cast iron pan. Layer the bacon in a single layer, being careful not to crowd the pan.
- Turn the stovetop burner on low. Cook on low. Once the edges begin to buckle and curl, flip to the other side. Continue cooking until all sides are evenly browned according to your preference.
- Leave oven cold. Place bacon strips on baking sheet in a single layer, being careful not to overlap.
- Place baking sheet in the oven and heat to 350 degrees.
- Cook the bacon for about 12-18 minutes, or until it reaches your preferred texture.