- 2 1/2 cups cooked chicken, shredded or diced (leftover from whole chicken)
- 1 tbsp. onion or shallot, minced
- 1 tbsp. lemon juice
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 tsp. ginger
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/4 tsp. freshly ground black pepper
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 1 tbsp. curry powder
- 1 tsp. cumin
- 1/2 tsp. ground turmeric
- 1/4 to 1/2 tsp. cayenne pepper (depending on your spiciness index!)
- 2 celery ribs, diced
- 1/4 cup fresh cilantro or parsley, chopped
To cook whole chicken:
- Preheat oven to 425.
- Pat the bird dry. Season all over with salt and pepper. Place halved lemon or onion in cavity of the bird.
- Place, breast side up, in an oven-safe skillet or dish. Cook for 1 hour, or until the internal temperature reaches 165.
To make chicken salad:
- Combine the shallot/onion, lemon juice, garlic, ginger, salt, and pepper in a large mixing bowl. Let sit for at least 10 minutes and up to 1 hour.
- Add the mayonnaise and stir to combine.
- Add the curry powder, cumin, turmeric, and cayenne and mix until everything is uniformly combined.
- Fold in the chicken and celery. Taste and season with more lemon juice, salt, and pepper as needed.
- Garnish with fresh cilantro or parsley leaves.
*This recipe comes from Michael Ruhlman's From Scratch.