- Place the cheesecloth or strainer bag over a bowl. Pour the yogurt carefully into the bag or cloth, and tie up the edges to let hang.
- Leave the yogurt hanging for 12-24 hours, undisturbed. (12 hours will result in a softer cheese; 24 hours in a firmer, tangier cheese.) The whey will drain into the bowl - save it to bake with, to use as garden fertilizer, or to feed backyard hens.
- After 12-24 hours, take down the bag and open. Sprinkle a small amount of salt and spread it into the cheese, using a spoon. This will help remove any excess whey.
- Hang the bag again, for 1-4 hours, to drain any remaining whey.
- Take down the bag and spoon into a container. Keep in the refrigerator for 1-2 weeks. Use as you would with regular cream cheese!