- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 4 pieces beef shank, each about 1 1/4 inches thick (about 2 pounds total)
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- ⅓ cup chopped onion
- ⅓ cup chopped celery
- ⅓ cup chopped carrots
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1 ¼ cups canned crushed tomatoes
- ¾ cup beef broth
- Fresh ground black pepper
- 3 sprigs fresh thyme
- 1 large sprig fresh rosemary
- Chopped fresh parsley, for topping
- Heat oil in a medium nonstick skillet over medium high heat. Season veal shanks with salt then sear all four sides until browned but not cooked through. Add to the insert of a slow cooker.
- Then add the onion, celery, carrots, garlic, tomato paste, crushed tomatoes, beef broth, black pepper, thyme, and rosemary. Stir to mix a bit.
- Cover and cook on high for 4 hours or low for 8 hours. Discard sprigs of thyme and rosemary. Sprinkle fresh parsley on top prior to serving, if desired.
*Recipe from Table for Two.