February 9, 2023 • 0 comments
This simple pork recipe can be made with nearly any large pork roast. We prefer a pork shoulder, but you can also use a pork butt. The key is to use plenty of salt and cook it low and slow, and you'll have amazing, BBQ-style shredded pork so that you can customize any way you'd like.
- Prep Time:
- Cook Time:
- Servings: 6-8
- (to taste) Coarse Sea Salt
- (2-3 lbs.) Pork Shoulder
- Preheat oven to 275 degrees F.
- Place pork in a oven-proof dish with a lid, like a Dutch oven. Rub salt generously all over the pork shoulder so that it's covered. This is important - the salt will help the pork "sweat" and cook in its own juices, so don't skimp.
- Place lid on the dish and put the pork in the heated oven. Cook for 4 hours. (If you're short on time, you can cook at 300 for 3 hours.)
- At the end of 4 hours, check the meat. It should shred easily. If not, place in the oven for a few more minutes and cook until it easily pulls apart.
- Make a simple vinegar sauce: mix 1/4 cup apple cider vinegar with 2 tbsp. maple syrup or brown sugar. Spoon sauce over the shredded meat and serve.